Position Type: Full Time, Permanent
Reports To: Executive Director
Date Posted: April 11, 2017
To Apply: Send the following materials to Kim Rutledge, Executive Director, at email@example.com
Email subject line: Community Outreach and Education Manager Position
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 3 professional references or 2 professional letters of recommendation
Duties and Responsibilities:
In accordance with organizational policies, duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Design and implement mission centered education programs as the lead educator for the Wildlife Rescue Center including but not limited to existing youth and adult programs, site and facility orientations and tours, guided nature walks, new volunteer orientations
- Execute seasonal public education events and assist with volunteer appreciation events and fundraising events
- Complete writing projects including but not limited to website content, brochures, flyers, newsletters, and advertisements
- Develop, track, and report on short and long term goals and budget for the community outreach and education program
- Assist with recruitment of volunteers to support the Center's programs
- Identify, recruit, and retain education and outreach volunteers
- Manage the education and outreach calendar: scheduling programs for schools, community organizations, scout groups, families, etc. both on- and off-site
- Respond to and manage inquiries related to programs, events, the organization, and wildlife related issues
- Expand outreach and environmental awareness to the community by attending community events and providing educational activities
- Cultivate partnerships with stakeholders including businesses, nonprofit and government organizations, and community groups
- Maintain active memberships and participation with peer associations such at National Association for Interpretation and the National Association for Environmental Education
- Assist with habitat restoration projects on Wildlife Rescue Center property to optimize educational opportunities
- Seek out and apply for education grant opportunities and administer won grants
- Collaborate on long-range planning for the organization
Education and Qualification Requirements:
- Minimum BA or BS in environmental education, informal education, education, environmental studies, natural science, or related field
- At least two years previous experience leading outdoor science education, classroom, or interpretive programs for children and/or mixed age audiences
- Proven success with curriculum development
- Knowledge of and/or demonstrated ability to learn about the local region and wildlife native to Missouri
- Experience planning or managing a budget, especially in a non-profit setting
- Experience managing volunteers
- High degree of organizational skills
- Strong public speaking, presentation, and program leadership ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good problem solving and customer service skills
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as operate independently
- Skills in establishing priorities and managing workload
- Ability to multi-task and keep track of multiple projects in the midst of constant interruptions
- Technologically literate with strong computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and other commonly used software. Experience with web based databases preferred (such as Donor Perfect, Volgistics, or WRMD)
- Must enjoy working outside in all weather conditions
- All work will be performed in accordance with Wildlife Rescue Center policies and up to Center standards.
- All work will be performed in a professional manner and according to documentation.
- All work will be performed as a team player with Wildlife Rescue Center staff, volunteers, and board members.
- Staff will dress in a manner appropriate for the position.
- Work must be performed carefully and with attention to detail in an attempt to make it error-free.
- Must have the ability to communicate with Center staff and volunteers as well as with board members in a positive manner.